Giving back doesn’t only have to happen during the holiday season. Spreading gratitude and kindness is always needed and appreciated. I know busy schedules and packed summer calendars leave little room for big volunteer commitments so I created a short list of ways you can pay if forward that won’t take too much of your time:
- Clean and Restore City Parks and Playgrounds: This is a great option for the summer since it can all be done outside! Whether you’re painting benches or picking up garbage-a little goes a long way. Contact your local park offices to learn more about the different opportunities.
- Run for Charity: If you like running, check out NYRR (or your cities local running chapter) and sign up to run for a cause. Taking care of your physical health while giving back sounds like a win-win to me! J
- I’m Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up For Education and was Shot By The Taliban: If you don’t know who Malala is then you should stop reading this and go Google her name. She is probably one of the world’s most extraordinary girls. At age 17 (she just turned 19 a few days ago) was the youngest person to ever win the Nobel Peace Prize, and today continues fighting for education around the world. If you are looking for a summer read then buy her book. Don’t expect it to be your typical “lighthearted” summer beach book but once you’ve finished it, you’ll feel grateful and who knows…maybe it will inspire you to start fighting for education too.
- One Hope Wine: One Hope Wine is selling the perfect rose for your next summer soiree. Every bottle educates 100 women on their risk and symptoms of ovarian cancer. If you missed my previous post about One Hope Wine check it out here.
- Send a friend a card: Sending a random “just thinking of you” card to a friend or family is a sweet gesture and can make someone’s day. We all know that it’s the #littlethings that matter most. J